Convert any image into a base64 string in CSS

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Congrats on an excellent add in - trying it out at the moment. Was considering integrating minification combination of js and css into MSBuild until I came across this and this does something very similar.

Wonder though if it would be possible to integrate in the conversion of images in css into a base64 string, resulting in less http requests. I believe only IE8+ supports such so it would need to an optional feature, ie. create a css with the conversion and a css without. A demo of what I mean in the following video ->

Any thoughts on this? Just another area in which this add in could help improve the performance of css.

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Thanks for the interesting idea! I'll check 'er out.

Jul 18, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Add work item for this :

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:30 PM

See new microsoft product "Sprite and Image Optimization Framework":

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Was this feature added to chirpy or are there any plans to do so in the future? Thanks

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Presently is not in me plan.

The next feature is : CoffeeScript

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Thats fine, thanks for getting back to me. Was just wondering. I will look at introducing the new Sprite and Image Optimization framework instead.

Out of interest, what is CoffeeScript?

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:38 PM

The next best thing after sliced bread. It's a rubification of javascript, basically adding some language elements that drastically reduce code size and uglyness. See here: <cite></cite> 

It is very new and will gain incredible momentum in 2011.