Feature Request - SASS Support

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:53 PM

If you're not familiar, SASS is similar to LESS, and has (in my opinion) several advantages over LESS (user definable methods, for loops, etc).  However, it requires Ruby and the SASS Gem to process.  Now that IronRuby is available, it seems like it should be possible to add SASS to Chirpy without too much effort.  There are already a couple of options for integrating ASP.NET and SASS: SassAndCoffee and SASS for Visual Studio 2010.  Unfortunately, SassAndCoffee doesn't support explicit pre-processing of SASS files, but rather processes each file or combined files on the first HTTP request for that resource.  SASS for Visual Studio is more like what I'm after, but it's alpha and doesn't support CoffeeScript, and we'd like a single package/extension that can handle all of our script/style preprocessing instead of having to rely on multiple libraries and/or extensions.

Developer
Jun 15, 2011 at 2:03 AM

http://giri.sh/2011/01/21/sass-for-visual-studio-2010/

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2011 at 3:55 PM

If you read the original post carefully, you'll see that I link to that very thing.  I know it exists, but it's alpha, it's not clear whether or not it's still under continued development, it requires installing Ruby, and it's not available via NuGet.  In addition, I'd rather not globally clutter up my VS2010 install with an extension that basically just calls a single command (i.e.  sass --watch Content/SASS:Content/Styles), especially an extension that doesn't even do anything for non-web projects.

I'd rather be able to use NuGet to install a single package (Chirpy) and be done with it.  Not that there IS a NuGet package for Chirpy right now, but there's another feature request for that specific thing, so hopefully either someone will put it together or I'll look into doing it myself.

Developer
Jun 19, 2011 at 2:16 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.